Thursday, January 13, 2011

Sick Day

I was in the shower this morning when the Captain's mom came storming into the bathroom.  She said that the Captain was not feeling well and she wasn't sure if he should go to school.  She wasn't asking my opinion so much as weighing her own thoughts out loud.  I would send the Captain to school with a severed arm, but that's just me.  "Rub some dirt on it and get in the car."  After a few minutes of debate (amongst herself), she decided that he did indeed need to stay home. He only goes for a few hours a day, so I stayed home with him until she was finished with school and we could make the trade.


I came downstairs and the Captain is wrapped up in blankets, on the couch watching Mickey Mouse. He looks up and in a low, deathbed whisper asks me if he can have some tea.  Sure buddy, I got you.  "With lemon and honey.  And a little milk and one sugar."  He eeks out. OK I reply.  "And a Clementine.  Maybe some apricot.  Some cookies too?" He now booms from the couch.  Sure man, you got it.  "Can we watch a movie dad?" Uh, OK. "Want to play dragons?"  "Can we build legos?"  "Can you get down my art supplies?"  No Captain, you need to relax.  "Can you make me some scrambled eggs dad? With ham and really cheesy." Did I mention that C has a tape worm? The Captain is now upright and moving like a chihuahua with ADD.    All signs of an apparent illness are now a distant memory.  Amazing recovery. "Shall we play Wii Dad?"  Fire that fucker up Captain.  I dominate his ass in Wii Sports.  "Can I have some hot chocolate with marshmallows dad?  Two of the bigs one please.  And use real milk."


After breakfast, cartoons, snacks, a movie, the Wii, and some wrestling, we hear a car pull up. "Is mom home?" the Captain asks.  I think so buddy.  He then dives back on to the couch, under his blankets, and assumes his sick pose.  C's mom opens the door and goes straight to him.  "How are you my baby?" she says.  "Not berry good ma-ma." He eeks out in his sickly whisper again. His illness is back.  "I am soooo sick."  "It is OK baby, Mommy is here now and she will take care of you." She tells him.


I watched this transformation occur and had to give it to him. Five years old and both parental units are already wrapped around his chubby little fingers.


"I am hungry ma-ma.  Can you make me some breakfast?"

No comments: