Friday, January 14, 2011

Coaching Your Child

I have been coaching the Captain's flag football team for a few weeks now.  The team consists of 5-7 year old boys without much experience.  Here are a few anecdotes from it.


1) Everyone tuck in your shirts and make sure your flag's are on correctly.  Forgetting for a moment that most of these kids need help tucking in their shirts.  Sure dude, I can help.  Wait a second.  This kid has no underwear on...WTF?  You are all now on your own.  I'm not going to jail.  And that creeps me out.


2) Another coach to me during the game, "Do you want to get your son in on this play?"  We both look over to the sidelines and the Captain is literally chasing butterflies.  No, I think he is good for now.


3) On the first day, one of the kid's parents tells me, "My son has two mommies at home, so he doesn't have someone to teach him football." I don't want to get into nature versus nurture, but this kid is soft as a pillow.  Sweet kid, good heart, but soft. The mouthpiece made him gag and he needed to come out.  Taking a handoff or a snap hurt his nails (seriously) and he needed to come out.  The football coming at his face scared him and he needed to come out.  I have a feeling that many more balls will come at his face and all that coming out is simply good practice for him.


4) One of the kid stands at midfield and signals a TD. During the play. The ball carrier was still running. The kid signaling was on defense. Good hustle.


5) Each week there is a snack for the kids after the game.  I am convinced that this is the only reason most of them come out.  In the middle of a huddle I am often asked, "What is the snack today coach?"  Or "How much longer until we can go get our snacks?"  (Of course the Captain is usually leading this charge.)


I would say we resemble the Bad News Bears, but they got to play in the League Championship.

No comments: